There are a number of different types of scholarships that a student may receive if they meet the established criteria.
Institution Scholarships are those scholarships that are offered by the colleges, universities, junior colleges, and trade schools where the students plan to attend. The institution will talk to students directly and will answer questions regarding such opportunities, usually as the student applies for admission or has been accepted. The student must make sure to adhere to strict application deadlines established by the university. Such deadlines are often on or immediately around the deadline for application to the institution.
National Scholarships are available from thousands if not millions on private businesses, charitable organizations and governmental institutions. There are so many choices, it can seem daunting but literature continually tells of money left "on the table" because no student applied for the scholarship. Some agencies will contact the school but that is a very small number now a days. If the institution sends information to the school it will be posted on the PPHS Facebook and announcements will be made during daily announcements. Remember that no source should ever charge you to find scholarships. If they want money from you, it is most likely a scam. The following are a list by a number of newspapers and periodicals of good database and sources to look for national scholarships:
NEW: Pilot Point has a new subscription for additional scholarships. You will need to go to the following link but will need to come by the Counselors' Office for the passwords as this database does not allow them to be posted to the web. The link is :
Local Scholarships are offereed by the Chamber of Commerce, The Pilot Point Educational Foundation, Boster Clubs, Local Clubs like the 129th Century Club or Rotary Club, or local businesses for the benefit of students in Pilot Point or in the Pilot Point area. These scholarships become available in the spring.The opportunities will also be posted on the PPHS Facebook page and will be announced during daily announcements for students to be aware of.
Current scholarships for the 2018-2019 school year are not available but past scholarships remain listed to provide parents some information as to what to expect.
Current 2018 Scholarships
- Ford Driving Dreams Scholarship 2018 due February 14th with an award of $1000
- Communities Foundation of Texas Scholarships 2018 various due dates and various amounts (Some large)
- Horation Alger Scholarship Program 2018 various due dates and various amounts (Some large)
- Wendy Ella Guilford Memorial Scholarship due by March 1st for various amounts
- State Fair of Texas Youth Scholarships Program 2018 Information due by March 2nd for various amounts (often $6000)
- Betty D. Gonzalez Motherless Daughter Information and Betty D. Gonzalez Motherless Daughter Scholarship Application 2018 due by March 31st with an award of $1000
- Denton County A&M Club Scholarship Information 2018 and Denton County A&M Club Scholarship Application 2018 due by April 1st for an award of $1000
- Grow Texas Scholarship 2018 for students involved in Ag. Usually due by April 1st with awards of $1000 to $3000
- Nineteenth Century Club Scholarship Application 2018 will be due postmarked no later than April 2nd with an award of $1,000
- Gainesville Riding Club Scholarship 2018 due April 11th with an award of $750
- NCTC Foundation Scholarship Information 2018 for NCTC and Dual Credit Students due April 15th with awards of various amounts
- NCTC External Opportunities Scholarships 2018 due April 15th for various amounts
- Texas Tech Alumni Association Scholarship Information 2018 due April 15th for various amounts
- North Texas Facilities Services Association due April 20th for students working in facilities/services for various amount
- Pilot Point Bearcat Booster Scholarship 2018 due April 20th postmarked and mailed to the address listed on the application
- Pilot Point ISD Education Foundation Scholarship 2018 will be due postmarked by April 20th
- Pilot Point Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Application 2018 will be due April 27th with 2 awards of $500
- ECLAT Foundation Scholarships 2018 due May 1st for $2000 (Multiple awards)
- Texas Nursery and Land Association Scholarship 2018 due May 1st with awards of $1000 (Multiple awards)
- Aspiring Nurse Scholarship 2018 due by August 31st with an award of $1000 (Multiple awards)
Current Additional Scholarships for 2017
These are available for your investigation but are not updated for 2018 so cannot be applied for as of yet.
2017 Bearcat Booster Club Scholarship Due by April 1st, requires an essay and community service hours
Pilot Point FFA and 4H Friends and Family Scholarship 2017 Due May 2nd with mandatory interviews May 3, 2017
TexTESOL Scholarship $1000 award for a past or present ESL student, due by April 8, 2017